Search This Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2011

There's a Tear in My Beer

First of all, let me say that today it is 71 degrees without a cloud in the sky. Life in the desert is good.

This weekend is Apacheland Days, honoring the film studio Apacheland. Back in the ‘60s Apacheland was a hub for western movies. Television series such as The Rifleman with Chuck Connors, Wyatt Earp with Hugh O’Brien, Wanted Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen, Have Gun, Will Travel with Richard Boone, The Virginian, Rawhide, and several episodes of Little House on the Prairie produced television heroes for many us. Audie Murphy, Ronald Reagan, Kenny Rogers, Elvis Presley and Jason Robards were just some of the silver screen feature length stars who performed for the cameras at Apacheland.

Then, one dark and stormy night, the whole place burned down and the cameras stopped rolling; Apacheland burned to the ground for the second time in its forty-three year history on Saturday, Valentine’s Day, February 14, 2004.

Most all of the buildings were destroyed beyond repair, with one exception; the Elvis Chapel, a prop for the 1968 movie CHARRO, staring Elvis Presley. That building was saved and moved to its present location on the grounds of the Superstition Mountain Museum just three miles out of Apache Junction on Highway 88.

Today they are going to relive just a portion of the wild heydays of Apacheland. There are stage coach rides, gunfights, hangings (mock), along with various arts and crafts, food booths and entertainment.



Venturing into the Elvis Chapel, I found that I was just in time to get myself photographed with the King himself, the highlight of my whole day I am sure. Inside, the chapel the walls are tastefully decorated with posters of some of the bygone movies which had been filmed on location. The chapel is now open to the public for tours and weddings.



Wandering over to the art exhibits I stopped to look at some of the works of Apache basket weaver Evalena Henry. Evalena is a master basket weaver who has received awards from the National Endowment for the Arts. Her baskets are fantastic, as well as just a bit out of my price range.

More to my tastes is flute artist John Bear. He had several flutes on display as well as audio CD’s and instructional CD’s. My musical side came bubbling to the top and I just had to purchase one of the pocket flutes, plus an instructional CD; concerts will be available late summer of 2011.


After wandering through the smithy’s blacksmith shop, and the Apacheland memorabilia barn, I was beginning to work up a powerful hunger. What better way to nip a feeling like that in the bud, but to sample piece of authentic Indian fry-bread. Given the choice of Indian Taco or Fry Bread, I opted for the fry-bread, with honey and cinnamon; hard to beat.



After absorbing just about the culture I could take at Apacheland I headed back towards home. Not far from the Superstition Museum, on Highway 88, Apache Trail Highway, is an eatery called Filly’s Restaurant and Lounge; “If You Are Lost You Are In The Right Place!” Now since I have been lost in more places than most people have been, I was right home here. They have an outdoor patio, serve up some great chicken, BBQ ribs and sandwiches; I chose the BBQ brisket sandwich with beans and potato salad. I picked up my order and plopped myself down at one of the tables. A fellow sitting next to me was wearing a Cabela’s sporting goods cap; of course I had to tell him my famous Cabela’s cap story, but…..that is a tale for another time.

On Saturdays Filly’s has outdoor music and dancing on their giant patio; too bad Sharon was not with me or we could have spun a wild spur dancing to tune “There’s a Tear in My Beer” as played by the local band. Filly’s is a great place; you can drive in, walk in, ride your horse in, or arrive by any other means of transportation that suits you. There is always good conversation, lively activity and of course good food.

Where else but in Arizona can you turn another hum-drum day into an excursion of real joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment