Search This Blog

Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Birthday Hikes - 4



Jan 15, 2014

YEAR 3

Total Miles Hiked:                            32.2 miles
Required Miles to Date:                    31.5 miles


I went on two hikes today; one 4 mile hike with a group, and one 2 mile solo hike, putting me slightly ahead of my New Year’s resolution hiking goal.

I often hike alone on the local trails because they are well traveled by other hikers and most are within a few miles of my home.  The trails are not void of concern though.  Some of the local wildlife I might encounter could include mountain lion (rare), bobcat, coyote, javalina, snakes, scorpions, and a multiplicity of spiders.

As you know I am no shrinking violet when it comes to wild animals as I proved in the quick thinking and immediate action taken in the infamous bear attack of Nov 13, 2012 when I stared death in the face yet remained calm and collected as I sprayed an entire can of bear spray directly into the face of a charging grizzly.



Nonetheless, I do enjoy hiking alone.  There is no pushing to reach a destination; there are no lengthy rest breaks, I don’t have to keep up with a conversation, unless of course I am talking to myself, which I often do, and when a rest is needed I can stay as short or as long as I wish.  

Today I was hiking with a group, but at one rest stop I continued on alone for a distance and stopped at a secluded rock further up the trail with a good view of the surrounding landscape; not for a rest, but as a meditation stop.  It gave me time to be alone, to reflect.  I shall be talking more on this meditation thing at another time.

As I have mentioned before, you can meet some great people out on the trail.  On my second hike for the day I was hiking alone when I ran into a couple from Ohio who had recently moved into the area and were out for an afternoon stroll, learning about some of the local trails and enjoying the area in which they live.  Of course I had to tell them some of the local history; the Lost Dutchman Gold, Massacre Ridge, and a moonlight hike wirh a brief tour of our Solar System.




That’s what I love about living here in Arizona; the weather is generally always good, the trails are plentiful, and there are plenty of stories to go around.

Did I ever tell you about the man who killed Santa Clause?  It happened, right here in Mesa, Arizona.  But then, that’s another story for another trail.

“Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry”.
                       Mark Twain


No comments:

Post a Comment