Search This Blog

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Drive-by

You have probably noticed there has been an absence of my blog postings lately. Reason being, things have been a little slow around here. Work related things you know. Even though I’m retired, there are still things that need to get done, things that I just can’t seem to avoid.
Rather than deprive your minds eye of some literary relief , I would like to submit to you a short story which I wrote to our grandchildren back in the fall of 2004.
It seems an appropriate story at this time with the uncertainty of it all, what with all the gangs, the drive-by shootings and muggings that are occurring daily in our cities. I had written this article to our grandchildren after a particularly upsetting incident that happened to Sharon and I while out on an evening walk one day.



Drive-By

by Gary Hyde
October 2004

Your grandmother and I were out walking Pippin this evening, enjoying each others company along with the early appearance of our northwest fall weather. A stiff breeze came up sending fragile fall leaves tumbling from nearby trees covering lawns and roadway with a carpet of red, yellow and gold. What a great time of year it is with the nip of fall in the air, the colors of autumn leaves, and the fading light of early evenings. The occasional car driving past would send waves of fallen leaves flying across the road in a jumble of intricate patterns.
Walking along the side of the road I could hear an automobile approaching from behind. I thought I detected a strange noise emitting from it, almost as if a large dog were howling at the blaring siren of a fire truck. As the car drew near a blast rang out! Heads turned; a flock of birds launched into a frenzied flight. The noise grew louder, taking on the distinct sound of one of Jonathan’s trombone practices. Just as the car passed by I caught a glimpse of the business end of a brass trombone sliding in and out of the driver’s side rear window. We had just been tromboned!
It all happened so fast we didn’t know what to do, and by the time we got our wits about us the automobile had sped off into the evening dusk. As he disappeared down the road and into the night, I thought I could hear, just for an instant, the maniacal laughter of Jonathan, much as if he were involved a game of Pippin bowling.
Needless to say, the whole incident has us quite unnerved and we are both wondering if Jonathan had come home on weekend leave from the Air Force Academy. If not, I don’t quite know what to do. What has the world come to when an innocent citizen can be tromboned like that without warning? I only hope that all of you are OK and I want you to know that, even though we are shaken, we’re both alright.

Love,

Grandpa

No comments:

Post a Comment